To ensure the efficient use of explosives within the blasting process, and comply with the Quarry Regulations, Ulster Industrial Explosives provide an explosives supervision service to its customers.
The safe and effective use of industrial explosives at customers sites is the highest priority. When using U.I.E’s Explosives Supervision service you sre getting reliability. Explosives Supervision can be carried out by one of our Technical Services Engineers who will undertake the whole procedure from beginning to end. Our Technical Services Engineers are licenced and fully qualified, therefore we can offer a complete and reliable service.
The Explosives Supervisor is in overall, day-to-day charge of work with explosives in the quarry. As the Explosives Supervisor has no specific duties under the quarry regulations, the extent of his/her duties will be defined by their letter of appointment and the Operators Rules for Shotfiring Operations.
Ulster Industrial Explosives Limited considers the role of the Explosives Supervisor to be: –
Organise all work with explosives at the quarry
Authorise the blasting specification
Check site conditions
Deal with misfires and recovered explosive from previous operations
Where appointed as Explosives Supervisor, to meet the requirements of the above role, Ulster Industrial Explosives Limited will undertake the following tasks: –
- Maintain a list of suitably qualified U.I.E. employees to assume the roles of Explosives Supervisor and Shotfirer.
- Visit the Quarry to discuss the blasting requirements with the operator or his representative.
- Survey the rock faces and set out the blast as required.
- Agree a preferred blast date with the Operator.
- Liase with the drilling contractor and PSNI to organise the blast for the preferred date (or the nearest suitable).
- Draw up detailed drilling instructions including a plan of the bench showing the position of and numbering the required holes.
- Draw up and approve (by signing) a detailed Blasting Specification (QER ACOP, appendix 2).
- Give a copy of the specification to any person upon whom it imposes duties (Shotfirer and Operator)
- Maintain and test Shotfiring equipment, calibrate profiling and vibrograph equipment as required.
- Deal with any Misfires that may occur.
Our Engineers have all of the necessary skills, experience, qualifications and equipment needed to complete the job from start to finish. All blasting equipment used is calibrated and safety is evident throughout the service.
The Explosives Supervision service is included within the scope of the Ulster Industrial Explosives ISO 9001 Quality Management System. As such, customers can be assured that personnel have the appropriate skills and experience to deliver this service and that the equipment used by them is properly maintained and calibrated to provide the necessary confidence.